• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SchmoopieUK

SchmoopieUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi everyone, having already posted this elsewhere I'm reposting it as a new thread (I'm a new user & got lost!). 3 weeks ago I had Lasek Wavefront for prescriptions -4.25 & -3.50. and now I need +2.75 simply to read!!! Whilst I can probably see from the UK to the US I'm unable to see anything closer - including my toenails! Last night I even found that I could see TV better with +2.00 specs! I have now discovered that at my age (57) this was almost guaranteed to happen, but at no time was I told beforehand. Had I known I'd have run out of that clinic so fast! I've since discovered that other reputable clinics would have refused to treat me, or first explained that I would simply be swapping one problem for its polar opposite, & actually shown me what I would be facing. As a person who loved books I can only spend a relatively short time reading (10 mins) before I get a headache & the letters blur; similarly @ computer. I'm now on antidepressants & wake up to a panic attack every morning. I'm totally obsessed with what's happened - how could I not be given that as long as my eyes remain open there's no getting away from this waking nightmare. it's only my anger that's keeping me from going under. Googling has found a number of people like me who have had their lives ruined due to the treatment they received at this UK chain of clinics (can't give their name on this site). I have already been in contact with a few who told me they were hastily paid compensation & offered retreatment elsewhere. However, in at least two cases I've had contact with, the damage was done & no retreat possible. And what price can be put on your eyesight?! Once the prescribed 3 months recovery time has gone by I intend to take action against this company, with a lawyer or via the internet, as I believe the clinic - office staffed by pretty girls deceptively dressed to look like nurses - is negligible in failing to present the facts to the patient BEFORE 'surgery'. It is only by trawling the internet that i now know as much as I do. In the past, when faced with a real hospital operation, the doctor/anaesthetist talked me through everything first, including what might possibly go wrong. I expected the same from the doctor at the laser clinic. I am therefore trying to contact anyone who has been treated at one of these UK clinics & was dissatisfied for one reason or another. It's time all these cowboy laser clinics were prevented from damaging any more people's lives in their race to make a fortune. I look forward to replies.

#2 Rebecca Petris

Rebecca Petris

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

3 weeks ago I had Lasek Wavefront for prescriptions -4.25 & -3.50. and now I need +2.75 simply to read!!! ...
I have now discovered that at my age (57) this was almost guaranteed to happen, but at no time was I told beforehand. Had I known I'd have run out of that clinic so fast!

I'm really sorry. Given how long these surgeries have been around it really id unconscionable that they did not explain your presbyopia would be an issue after surgery. Hang in there. I'd focus on getting some good progressives or something.
Rebecca Petris

#3 UnableToCope

UnableToCope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

SchmoopieUK, I am SO very sorry that you've had to join the ranks of those of us whose lives have been ruined by refractive surgery. I'm in the US, so I can't help with finding people who have had surgery in the UK, but I can be here for support. If you haven't already read it, go to the thread that I started when I first came here and was VERY suicidal. It is called "Need advice for massive depression." You will find tremendous support from people who have been through what you're currently dealing with. The support I found here is the one and only reason that I am still alive today. I was more myopic than you prior to my surgery and that was also the major reason (at that time) for my depression. I will tell you that you will most likely regress quite a bit over the next few months, so your vision shouldn't be as bad as it is now. I remember having a panic attack because I couldn't even read any of the controls in my vehicle, but I can make out most of them now. (I had regular Lasik and it took me about 3 months to regress to that point.) I still mourn daily for my near vision. I have to take medication just to be able to look in the mirror and attempt to apply makeup. As long as you don't develop dry eye and your vision remains clear, you should be able to wear a monovision contact lens which would give you some relief. ( I know that wearing contacts is not what you planned when you went in for lasek, but I hope you're ABLE to.) For me, my surgery did not go well and I now have blurry vision in both eyes as well as dry eye that is hampering my efforts to wear a contact lens. Hang on while you regress and you'll find that reading will become more tolerable. Then we'll pray that you'll be able to wear a mono contact lens to help with the near vision. Keep us posted on your progress.

#4 kevinon

kevinon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

I tried reading lenses but they caused headaches. Then realized I needed +2.5 for the left eye and +4.5 for the other. I found a display of readers all strengths and all the same basic frame style. I bought a pair of 2.5 and a pair of 4.5 then popped out the right 2.5 lens and replaced it with a 4.5 lens. Total cost around $18. kevin

#5 sblank

sblank

Advanced Member

• Complications Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

I am truly sorry for your problems. It is possible that you might have some regression over the next few months. It is such a shock to go from being nearsighted to being farsighted. Please hang in there and keep fighting... we are almost identical in age, so I can empathize. Sigh... the carnage continues. :mad:

#6 SchmoopieUK

SchmoopieUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for your support... will keep you updated

#7 jude

jude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hi I am in the same situation as you although I had my lasik done 3 years ago.I had mine done in uk but can not get any help or compensation even though I can not work full time any more(due to panic and general discomfort in my eyes).I was told of possible use of reading glasses after surgery but my vision is blurred up to arms length,can they get away with this?

#8 Reeves

Reeves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

schmoopie or Jude If you are still posting have you any updates on your lasek now Have things ironed out at all........? REEVES

#9 jude

jude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi Reeves still the same 4 years on but at least they are no worse and I know there are people with much bigger problems than me post lasik.I just feel like i've been conned and theres nothing I can do.My prescription went from short sited to very long sited overnight but with dry eye and sensitivity to bright lights which cause migraines.Jude x

#10 lookingforhelp

lookingforhelp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Get some reading glasses and maybe some Xanax, I'm not a psychiatrist and I'm not necessarily recommending drugs but it sounds like you're really freaked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users