12 replies to this topic

#1 maximus83

maximus83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I've noticed that I get a buildup of crud on my eyelids and lashes from the artificial tears (doesn't seem to matter which kind I use). It's worst right where the lashes join to the lid: there's like this cement build-up, white and "salty" (makes sense, coming from tears), and stuck very hard. And it's a pain, it literally makes your eyelids feel weighed down, and you can sort of see it in your field of vision, if you wait too long to remove it. I can get most of it removed but not all. To get all the dried salt/tear residue off, I've tried manually but it pulls so hard on your lashes/lids that it hurts. Have seen a few reports of people using baby shampoo in the shower to get it off. Anyone else see this issue, and any suggested solutions?

#2 Slawka

Slawka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Do you have dry eyes? It is possible that the dried deposits on your lashes are actually from meibomian gland dysfunction. For more information check out the talk forum on the 'dry eye zone'.

#3 maximus83

maximus83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Nope on the dry eyes. I've never had the issue until post PRK, using drops. It's got to be that. It's actually worse with some kinds more than others, and I use a LOT of eye drops, so that's probably it.

#4 SWJ4115

SWJ4115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I don't have too much problem during the day, but in the morning after a night of drops, my eyelids will be stuck together.. I pry open a corner before I ever try to open them, and flood in with a regular (non-gel) drop.. that softens the crust so I can open my eyes, and then I shower and it's all gone. If I don't shower immediately, I will use a very wet warm compress to wash my eyes.. that also gets all the goop off.

#5 Slawka

Slawka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Needing to use a lot of drops is a sign of dry eye. The 'crud' on your eyelids is most likely coming from the secretions in your meibomian glands. I would consider seeing your eye doc for a dry eye evaluation. For more info, see the related web site, 'Dry Eye Zone'.

#6 ageless

ageless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

Have you tried (any) of the saline solutions that come in the larger size squeezable bottles? Saline solutions are used for storing contact lens overnight. Varying brands etc. You can generate a strong jet by squeezing forcefully on the bottle. Keep your eye closed or look up / to the side when you squeeze.

#7 alex_m

alex_m

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

you could try gently washing closed eyes with baby shampoo. the residue may also be formed by the polymers present in eye drops. these polymers give eye drops viscosity or lubricity. Normally they are dissolved in liquid, but on dry eye there may be insufficient moisture, so the polymers may crash out. Some drops are designed to form gels on the ocular surface, and if you accidentally place some volume on your eyelashes, they will gel there as well.

#8 Anne

Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Try using SteriLid by Thera Tears. It's an eyelid wash. It's kind of pricey...about $20 for the small bottle....but it's a foam, so it lasts quite a long time. I have the same problem....this will gently get rid of all that "crud" on your eyelashes, and clear out any clogged glands, helping you make better tears for better eye comfort.

#9 maximus83

maximus83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Good suggestions. Alex-m: I find that suggestion about some of the substance in the drops interesting. I notice that at times, eyelashes come detached (just saw one now) and they have large globs of pure white stuff stuck to them like glue. Could that be these polymers you are referring to? It has no obvious smell and doesn't look like anything I've ever noticed around my eyes or anybody else's. It's so white and glue-like, I have to think it's coming mainly from the tears solutions I'm using. Often I dump 3 or 4 drops in my eyes just because it feels better when i do, and of course the excess overflows onto the lids. Bottom line: maybe I'm just putting in too many eyedrops!

#10 alex_m

alex_m

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

Your eye can only hold the volume of one eye drop. You could use the drops as often as you need, but instilling more than one drop at a time will cause spillover, onto your eye lashes.

#11 kevinon

kevinon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Any brand of contact lens eyedrop leaves crusts on my eyelids by morning. Eyedrops containing sodium hyaluronate don't leave crusts. Blink is one brand that I can get at the grocery. There are others but Blink is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. kevin

#12 kevinon

kevinon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

I found a bottle in my desk. Aquify is the other brand of OTC eyedrop with hyaluranate. kevin

#13 tubularbills

tubularbills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

I've had this problem as well, and I just wash it away with a warm towel or tissue paper. Just get them wet, close your eyes and wipe the stuff away. Once it gets wet, it's no longer cement like. This is what my doc recommended to me too Problem with this, however, is if you continue to wipe it away you might wear the skin down under your bottom eye lid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users