• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AG11

AG11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hello Everyone, I had Lasik surgery in March of 2006 and it was great. I got he surgery, went home fell asleep, woke up and could see great. Flash forward to towards the end of the summer I started to notice that my vision was not nearly as sharp as it had once been, in fact, it was pretty bad. I went and had a checkup and they confirmed that my vision had gotten worst (not as bad as it was originally) but I could benefit from a touch up procedure. They had to do PRK because they would be able to re-lift the flap from 3.5 years ago. I had my right eye done first in mid September. A few days after the surgery and my vision was great and was looking forward to getting the left eye done. A month later (Oct. 12) I had my left eye done, and a few days after I thought it had showed some improvement, but now it definitely has gotten worst. The past 2 days, reading things on the computer at work is a struggle. I find myself closing my left eye and just using my right. Looking at things from a distance is also pretty blurry (especially when compared to my right eye). Its almost like I have become farsighted now (when that was never an issue to begin with). My concern is that my right eye was done first, and is great in a short amount of time. A week after it was great....but it has been almost 2 weeks since I got the left eye done and its really not great at all. And now.... its like a new issue that I never had has come about (not being able to read books/computer that is right in front of me). Is this just because it is taking a longer time to heal? Reading through a lot of other peoples posts, the general consensus seems to be that I will just need to be patient and wait. It will fluctuate and (hopefully) get better. I guess I'm just hesitant to believe that because the first eye I got done....that wasn't the case. It is weird though, it seems like the few stories that I have read, people have had success with their right eye but their left eye was the one with the problem (I know this can totally depend on each individual but in the 3-4 posts I had read...it was always the left eye that had the issue). I have scheduled a follow up appointment for next week. I'll see what the doctor says but I just wanted to get some other (3rd party) opinions/experiences and hear what everyone thinks. Thanks! Oh ....I was 24 when I had lasik done and am now 27. Don't know if that matters.

#2 PRK_EYES

PRK_EYES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Sound like me. I had PRK a year ago. Overcorrected or overhealed to +1.0 +1.75. Kind of annoying at first. I couldn't see far or near right after 1 month. After 6 months, nothing was changed. I think lasik is a better procedure. I was told I was marginal for lasik. Only one time lasik because of the bed thickness. In hindsight, one time lasik, second time PRK. Which I didn't know at the time.

#3 barbara

barbara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

I also had a PRK touch up - and it also was in the left eye only - and it also got worse. I am 2 months into this and the clarity has improved - but the presription has gone from a +1.0 (after lasik and before PRK) to -2.5 or -3 after PRK. So - I am not happy - and am wearing a contact lens. Don't know if it will improve or not. Good luck to you.

#4 PRK_EYES

PRK_EYES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

Barbara, That is a drastic regression. How is your sight on the first week? Mine right now is very good. Not so sure in one month. Some Lasik doc on asklasikdoc say they would reduce the correction by 25 percentage to compensate regression. My doctor also reduced the correction by 25 percentage. Right now, I am a little foggy, with eye drops, it is very clear.

#5 barbara

barbara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

I agree that it is a drastic regression - and I am pretty upset about it. It doesn't make sense to me. Actually the -3 contact lens feels way too strong - so I am not sure what the actual prescription is. The vison was at a -2 after a week and the surgeon said that I was overcorrected. I have seen 2 other doctors since and the surgeon is surprisingly mute. Don't really know what to do now . .. Any suggestions?

#6 Rebecca Petris

Rebecca Petris

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hi AG11 and welcome.

They had to do PRK because they would be able to re-lift the flap from 3.5 years ago.

I'm a little curious about this. Flaps can be lifted safely after far longer periods than this unless there's an issue with the flap.

Its almost like I have become farsighted now (when that was never an issue to begin with).

Perhaps you are (a touch overcorrected?). Or - more likely - there's some more healing that needs to go on and maybe edema that needs to resolve.

My concern is that my right eye was done first, and is great in a short amount of time. A week after it was great....but it has been almost 2 weeks since I got the left eye done and its really not great at all. And now.... its like a new issue that I never had has come about (not being able to read books/computer that is right in front of me). Is this just because it is taking a longer time to heal?

Probably. As you've seen from other posts here, 2 weeks is very little in the scale of how long PRK can take till vision stabilizes and you see your final result. I know it's hard but try not to let it rattle you... the most likely is that things will turn up absolutely fine in the end despite some ups and downs on the way.

Reading through a lot of other peoples posts, the general consensus seems to be that I will just need to be patient and wait. It will fluctuate and (hopefully) get better. I guess I'm just hesitant to believe that because the first eye I got done....that wasn't the case.

Yup. Maddening isn't it... often our eyes really do heal quite differently from each other. Hang in there. :)
Rebecca Petris

#7 Rebecca Petris

Rebecca Petris

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

I agree that it is a drastic regression - and I am pretty upset about it. It doesn't make sense to me. Actually the -3 contact lens feels way too strong - so I am not sure what the actual prescription is. The vison was at a -2 after a week and the surgeon said that I was overcorrected. I have seen 2 other doctors since and the surgeon is surprisingly mute. Don't really know what to do now . .. Any suggestions?

Overcorrection is correct... what you're describing is not regression. Remains to be seen whether it will at least partially resolve itself. Keep up your hopes, there are plenty of people here who have been in that kind of state and things were ultimately fine after a slow healing and epithelial remodeling. Always keep in mind that edema will skew the refractive result so there's really no telling for sure what your prescription is at this stage.

I am really glad to hear that at least they've provided a contact. (Many don't that early in healing.) If it feels wrong see if you can some with a different Rx to help you through the fluctuations.

As to the doctors... What do the other 2 say? A "mute" doctor is unacceptable. - It is hard for them to say much though at this stage because it's just all about time... there really is nothing they can do till more time goes by and since the outcome is already unexpected they probably want to avoid making predictions that they can't be sure of. It's hard to come up with a good answer for a doctor to give actually as the most frequently occurring alternative is 'don't worry, you'll be fine, just wait'. Which is probably true but not terribly helpful when you're going through the stress of it.

p.s. This may seem like poor consolation but frankly if you're going to be overcorrected, I think the consensus is it's better to be overcorrected into a minus than a plus prescription.
Rebecca Petris

#8 barbara

barbara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

Thank you! I feel a little better. I actually agree that it may be better to be overcorrected to the minus degree b/c I can read pretty well without a contact -which was not the case when I was overcorrected to a +1.0. But it isn't great in any case. I need to be more aggressive in contacting the surprisingly mute surgeon. He was very proactive and on top of things before - and I trusted him. Don't even know if I should continue with the pred forte. With regard to the other doctors - they were just checking prescription and eye integrity. One doc told me not to get another surgery - the other referred me back to the surgeon saying that he knows him well and that he "is always seeking perfection." I sense that my imperfect eye is frustrating him at this point . ..

#9 PRK_EYES

PRK_EYES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

From what I read from the USA eyes website. Hyperopia correction is less predictable than Myopia correction. Also, the steriod drop also helps to suppress regression. I think PRK is oversold as overpromised product. If I were to do it again, I would choose interlaceLasik. At least, save myself from some frustration and aggrevation.

#10 PRK_EYES

PRK_EYES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:36 AM

Just want to add that dry eyes may deceive you as overcorrection. If lubrication helps you see better, that may not be the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users