17 replies to this topic

#1 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hi everyone, I am 7 months in now after my PRK surgery and sometimes my eyes burn during the day and sometimes it doesn't and most of the time when I wake up, my eyelids are stuck. Some days I can go all day without drops and I won't remember till the end of the night and there is blurry vision and discomfort. I told my doctor about the dry eye and he put me on Restasis. Do i really need it? I haven't tried it yet cause I am scared after reading all the stories about how much it hurts to put it in and that people get allergic reactions to it :( Can I put in regular drops in a few minutes before Restasis to help with the burn. What can I do if it burns ALOT? How do i know if it's just burning that will go away, or an allergic reaction?? Will I be able to function after I put them in? I'm just paranoid.

#2 Majo

Majo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hum... have you tried those refresh gels every... like 1 hour ??? for 5 days or something... that could help.... ;) Good luck !!! and let us know what happened :)

#3 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

Yeh I have tried them and it doesn't seem to help. It lubricates and then the effect is gone. I have ghosting in my left eye and I'm not sure if its from dry eye but if it is..maybe I should give Restasis a try?

#4 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Just bumping this because I really need some info on this before I start it..I am anxious to start it and fix the problem but i'm worried at the same time..

#5 kdawnz

kdawnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Hi there, I am considering PRK, and my doctor just decided to put me on restasis so that if I do have it my eyes will be in tip top shape. I have pretty sensitive eyes and have had no problems with restasis yet. It doesn't really sting when I put them in. It kind of feels like putting in allergy drops. I don't think you will have any problems. Why are you concerned you may have an allergy? Is their an ingrediant in it that you are allergic to? If not, I would give them a go.

#6 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

No i don't have any allergies to certain meds, but I've read of many people getting swollen eyelids and stinging eyes and symptoms only went away when they stopped Restasis! By the way, how is it working for you? More tears?

#7 Anne

Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

Hi Tootsie, I've been on Restasis for about 4 months. I had Lasik in March. When I first began using it, it would sting on contact. It does not sting anymore though. I do feel it has helped with my dry eye problem, and I will continue to use it. I use it twice per day. Anne

#8 Linda

Linda

• Moderators
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

Hello, I've been using Restasis for 8 months and find it helpful. You will know when you use it if you are sensitive to one of the ingredients. Have you tried a different brand of ATs or FreshKote (Rx required drops). Do you use an ointment at night? I had PTK/PRK and was told I should plan to use Muro Ointment "forever". Also, my morning routine (before I use Restasis) includes SUV ATs and a large glass of water. Are you taking any supplements? Do you stare at a computer monitor all day? Sorry to ask so many questions! Linda

#9 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

That's ok. I am currently taking flax seed oil pills and I do work on the computer a lot and I am not taking any other drops other then the refresh liquigels. I hope to find out soon whether Restasis will work for me or not! Now if only I can get the courage to put the drops near my eyes haha.

#10 QQK

QQK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

tootsieroll, I've been on Restasis for almost 4 months and it never bothers me (even at the beginning). I did hear that it really depends on the person, and it could take up to weeks and months before you can tell if it works. I am not 100% sure if it works for me since I'm taking Tears Again Hydrate, plus with punctal plugs in my eyes so it could be the combination of everything. I did stop using Refresh PM gel at night since my eyes are moist enough that sometimes they don't absorb any drops. Good luck!

#11 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

Ok well...I DID IT :P My paranoia always gets the best of me. There was no burning. In fact, it felt very soothing going in. So I guess it is different for everyone. Maybe they have a higher concentration of Restasis that causes burning? I have 0.05%. Keep in mind though that this is my first day and I hope it stays this way and that my eyes won't get sensitive to it. I'll keep you guys updated!

#12 QQK

QQK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:32 AM

tootsieroll, Interesting... I didn't know that Restasis comes in different formula. I'm gonna check mine tonight.

#13 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

Heres a little update...Restasis tends to feel like soap in the eyes after a couple of hours. Its not that bad and I just notice it when I close my eyes. This is fixed with putting in some refresh liquigel. I also use Refresh Lacrilube SOP at night but I've heard that people tend not to use it because of the perservative chlorobutanol that is in it. Does anyone have info on this? My Lacrilube doesnt name "chlorobutanol" in its ingredients at all but the bottle doesn't state anywhere that it is perservative free either.

#14 kdawnz

kdawnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Tootsieroll, I'm glad that the restasis didn't do anything too damaging! I have a hunch that it burns more for people with really dry eyes. Like if your skin gets really dry and you put lotion on and it burns a little? Just a hunch though. I haven't had any burning at all, but I don't have symptomatic dry eye. My doctor says I am a 5-6mm on the shirmer scale, but I have never had a problem. I haven't noticed any difference, but I don't really know what I would notice since I am not looking for eye relief- just healthier eyes pre surgery. Good luck!

#15 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:58 AM

I went in to get a check up and the doctor recommended temporary plugs. I had a plug put into the bottom duct of my left eye. It was fine when I came home but now its sort of annoying me and itching. Is this normal? The doctor says the plugs will last 6-12 weeks and they look like little purple things. I'm afraid I might be having a reaction to it and if it is, can the doctors take it out? If so, how do they do it. Thanks.

#16 mop

mop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

They should be able to undo this. Call the doctor's office and check with them. I had it placed several times and never experienced any issue with this. Good luck.

#17 tootsieroll

tootsieroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I swear that eye is itchy in the duct area but I am wondering if it's also all in my mind. I feel a little weird and anxious having something stuck in there even though I can't feel it and I can't see it. It last 6 to 12 weeks so how long until it starts dissolving? How do they normally take it out cause theres no tip to grab?

#18 mop

mop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

I am not sure about the time that it takes for it to dissolve since I've never experienced problems with this. I just let it run its course once the plug is in the duct. Regarding the removal, that's a good question.:confused: But if this is a problem, at least inform them so that they may come up with alternative solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users